We accept essays, case studies, journal articles, creative nonfiction, fiction, poetry, humor, parodies, drawings, and cartoons that make a serious point about writing or the teaching of writing; dialogues or debates on controversial issues in composition; interviews with established writers and writing teachers; multimodal and mixed work; and all forms in between. We are particularly interested in shorter pieces (3500–4500 words) that explore current, important questions in the field of writing studies. We prefer manuscripts less than 7000 words but will make exceptions for articles of outstanding interest.
We do NOT publish literary or rhetorical criticism, articles on primary and secondary education, book or textbook reviews, or articles that are primarily practical in nature, such as lesson plans or descriptions of new writing exercises. We do not publish IMRaD format but do accept original research if written in narrative style (see “Fieldwork with a Five-Year Old” for an example of a narrative-driven research article).
- Manuscripts must be the original work of the contributor.
- Manuscripts must be submitted via our online submission form.
- Manuscripts must be formatted in MLA style documentation, double-spaced, in 12-point font, and in Microsoft Word or PDF form. Include the title at the top of the first page of the manuscript and page numbers.
- Manuscripts must NOT contain any identifying information that would prevent a blind review.
- Manuscripts must not have been published elsewhere prior to acceptance or publication in WOE.
- First Rights reside with WOE. After volume publication, rights revert to the contributor.
- Contributors are responsible for securing all copyright permissions, including any excerpts of work not belonging to the contributor featured within the submission.
- Contributors are responsible for the accuracy of their work, their quotations, and their documentation.
Work not conforming to these guidelines will be at risk for being rejected. Please allow 3–4 months for review.
If you have questions or queries, email firstname.lastname@example.org.